Object Detail


Description
Ink drawing on a square sheet of semi-opaque tracing paper. The drawing is a simplistic line drawing of the layout of early Nelson with named buildings. It has a loose grid formation, with the Cathedral and Cathedral hill top right, with Trafalgar Street running down the length of the paper from the cathedral to the ‘north’ end of the map. The Maitai River curves around and down from top left corner around to the bottom right, intersecting with Trafalgar Street.

From bottom left to bottom right, middle left to middle right, top left to top right.

Bottom left to right
“MAITAI RIVER”; “WOODHOUSE”; “SIGLEY”; “BURN”;
“MEYERS Surveyor”;

Below PORT ROAD
“STALLARD Painter”; “ANCHOR HOTEL (Shine)”; “WAKATU HOTEL” “HARLEY’S”; “WILKIE Store”; “PERRY”; “JOE WHITE boot maker”; “JOHNSTONE money lender”;

Left of “EEL POND”
“RAPO”; “LITTLE SCOTLAND”; “BLANCHARD Shoemaker”; “HUNTER Watchmaker”; “DOLAMOR Baptist Minister”; “HOOPER’S BREWERY”;

Above and on “PORT ROAD” to the right of the eel pond below “HARDY ST”
“PACKER Turner”; “SMITH BREWER”; “TOM GOODMAN” (on “FIDDLE ALLEY”); “ROSS Baker”; “LOYD”; “TOM BERRY”

Above “EEL POND” on “HARDY ST”
“DR RENWICK”; “MILL CAMPBELLS MILL LEAD”; “HIGH FERN”

Left on “TRAFALGAR ST”
“BIRD Butcher”; “PARKES”; “LLOYD Butcher”; “EYES-EMPSON”; “DRY DITCH”; “GREATHEAD Blacksmith”

Right on “TRAFALGAR ST”
“ARMSTRONG”; “R BURN”; “BEN CRISP (Good Old Ben)”; “MRS SNOW”

Left on “TRAFALGAR ST” above “HARDY ST”
“ELLIOT EXAMINER OFFICE”; “DR BUSH”

“TUTU” above “HARDY ST”
“TUTU”; “BLACK WILLIAM constable”

Left of and left on “TRAFALGAR ST” above “HARDY ST”
“FERN”; “REV. REAY”; “REV. BUTT”; “MAJOR RICHMOND”;

Right on and right of “TRAFALGAR ST” above “HARDY ST”
“DR MCSAIN”; “MRS COLE”; “LANGFORD Joiner”; “DARTNELL”; “COPPINS”; extreme right “Sale Yard for Cattle & Horses from SYDNEY”

Left of “THE BROOK”
“LIGHTBAND (Tanner)”; “JACKSON (shoemaker)”; “COX 1st oddfellow”; “J.KIDSON of WAIRAU MASSACRE”; “SHEARMAN”; “MRS ROLLANDS STORE”; “CHING”; “CAPT N.MARSHALL”; “T TROWER”

To the right of “THE BROOK” and to the left of “CHURCH HILL”
“LANEY Baker”; “MARSDEN (watch maker)”; “DR WILSON”; “CAPT. NEWCOMBE”; “Shaumacher”; “SCHOOL REV. BUTT”; “MILLS Head Gaoler”; “Tailor GREEN”; “CAPT ENGLAND”; “COLLINGWOOD ST CEMETRY”; “DADDY WHITE Magistrate”; “YATES gardner”; “CAWTHRON”; “COLEMAN Cabinet Maker”; “WOOTTEN”; “COURT HOUSE”;

“CHURCH HILL”

Right of “CHURCH HILL”
“STRINGER Carpenter”;

Above “CHURCH HILL”
“GAOL Built of logs”

Above “CHURCH HILL” parallel to “HARDY ST”
“SURVEY LINE FROM BROOK ST TO WAIMEA ROAD”

Top left corner
… …; “BLICK Weaver”; “BROWN”; “SAM NEWPORT milkman”; “GROOEY”; “S NEWPORT”; “B… Pioneer”; “SAXTON”

Above survey line
“SAUNDERS & SHARP”; “S”

In the top left corner is written "Original Bett 25". The drawing is titled and signed "1842 - 1848, BIRDS EYE VIEW of the EARLY DAYS IN NELSON N.Z. by W.H. COLE from memory".
Collection
Bett Loan Collection
Art Collection Number
AC833
Classification
Drawing/Art/Communication Artifacts/Nomenclature
Measurements
Composition = Height x Width (mm) = 580 x 510mm
Measurement Description
Composition = 580 h x 510 w
Media and Materials
ink/Art
Media and Materials Description
Tracing paper
Date
Circa 1970
Credit Line
W.H.Cole (1835-1934). Birds eye view of the early days in Nelson, New Zealand 1842-48, [circa 1970]. Copy of a drawing. Nelson Provincial Museum, Bett Loan Collection: AC833

Object Type

 Share

 Comments Do you know something about this object? We'd love to hear from you if you have information that would help add to the history on this object.


Be the first to comment.