Nelson Hospital Board

Biography
Hospital services have existed in some form in Nelson since early settlement. In 1853 a large two-storied house on the corner of Examiner and Rutherford Street was taken over and used as a small hospital. Plans were drawn up for a new hospital on the present site in Waimea Road in 1867, and the first hospital building opened in July 1869. Nelson Hospital became a training school for nurses in 1897. The Nurses and Mid-wives Registration Act 1904 allowed nurses to train in general nursing through a course of three years or train as maternity nurses only (a two-year course).

Further information in: Low, D.C. Salute to the scapel : a medical history of the Nelson Province. (c.1971?)
Hospital services have existed in some form in Nelson since early settlement. In 1853 a large two-storied house on the corner of Examiner and Rutherford Street was taken over and used as a small hospital. Plans were drawn up for a new hospital on the present site in Waimea Road in 1867, and the first hospital building opened in July 1869. Further information in: Low, D.C. Salute to the scapel : a medical history of the Nelson Province. (c.1971)

Share

Made by this person