Tomlinsons mill sawing, Beatson's Bush c.1910

Maker and role
Photographer: Walter Guy (b.1887, d.1918)
Production date
Circa 1910
Photo collection reference number
315051
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Milling, Tomlinson's Mill
Object type
Media/materials description
Glass plate.
Measurements
half plate
Collection
Maker biography
Sergeant Walter Alexander Cochrane Guy (serial no. 25996).
Born on 20 August 1887 in Ngatimoti, Nelson, New Zealand.
On the Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph database his next of kin is listed as John Guy (father), Ngatimoti, Nelson, New Zealand.
Worked for himself as a farmer before enlisting with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force during World War One.
Embarked with the 19th Reinforcements Canterbury Infantry Battalion, C Company on 15 November 1916 from Wellington, New Zealand for Plymouth or Devonport, England.
Served for less than a year in Western Europe.
The last unit Guy served with was the Canterbury Infantry Regiment.
Killed in action in the Somme, France on 27 March 1918. He was thirty-one years old.
Memorial is located at Ngatimoti War Memorial, Tasman District, New Zealand.
Accession number
A4033
Credit line
Tomlinsons mill, Beatson's Bush, circa 1910. Nelson Provincial Museum, Guy Collection : 315051

Collection type


Colours


Subject Auto Tags


Share

Comments


Bernard Tomlinson (lt) & his brother Austin Albert Tomlinson (rt). They were the two oldest sons of Frederick William & Mary Louisa (nee Mason) Tomlinson, of Eves Valley, Waimea West. Their grandparents, Richard & Dorothy Mary (nee Bromley) Tomlinson emigrated from England on the "Bombay", arriving in Nelson on 14 December 1842. Richard Tomlinson took up Sections 153 & 154 at Eves Valley, Waimea West, and many of his children remained in the Eves Valley area.

- Anne McFadgen

Posted on 27-11-2016 02:32:25

The two men pictured in this photograph are very likely the owners of this portable sawmill, the Tomlinson brothers, Albert and Bernard (known respectively as Alb and Bern). At the time they were milling bush on the Orinoco Valley property of Charles Edward Beatson. C.E. Beatson was one of three sons of early Nelson architect, William Beatson, who had land in the Orinoco Valley. Charles himself became a noted Nelson architect, having trained under his father and in Wellington. He married Mary Alice Guy, a daughter of Lower Moutere pioneer Walter Guy, who owned land in the Moutere and at Ngatimoti. Mary Beatson (nee Guy) was an aunt of photographer Walter A.C. Guy. A while later the Tomlinson brothers sold their mill to another pair of brothers, Bert and George Heath, who used it to clear land in the Rosedale area. Around 1916, the Heaths set up the sawmill in Motueka, on the corner of High and King Edward Streets, opposite the Rothmans’ clock tower. It was the start of a successful milling and factory complex which for many years manufactured wooden boxes for the growing apple industry, and was eventually200 sold to Nelson timber merchants, Baigents’.

- Anne McFadgen

Posted on 10-03-2015 21:11:32