Nelson/Nelson Region/New Zealand
Promotional publication for Nelson and its businesses. Includes photographs by A.R. Kingsford, E. Dudgeon, F.N. Jones, W.C. Davies (Cawthron Institute). Includes advertisements of Nelson shops and stores;
, 45,  p. : ill., maps ; 38 cm.
Nelson City Council had its first meeting in August 1874 and took over the functions of the Nelson Board of Works. The Council moved to the empty offices of the Nelson Examiner newspaper on the corner of Trafalgar Street and Selwyn Place (known today as 1903 square). The Council offices remained on this site for many years, with new municipal buildings being built in 1903. The Council moved to Civic House, Trafalgar Street, in 1991.
For many years the Nelson Institute was funded by subscriptions from members and a little financial support from Council. Finally after much public debate and lobbying over a number of years, the Nelson City Council agreed to take over the running of the Nelson Institute’s Library in 1965.
Nelson Province - Description and Travel
Nelson Province - Views
Advertisements - Nelson - History
Horticulture - Nelson - History - Views
Other reference numbers