Nelson fortified from northeast, 1844
Maker and role
Artist: Mabel Annesley (b.1881, d.1959)
After: John Barnicoat (b.1814, d.1905)
See full details
"02" and "1844 Barnicoat Church Hill from N.East" and "Group 13"
John Wallis Barnicoat arrived in Nelson on board the Lord Auckland in April 1842, and surveyed the Waimea East area for the New Zealand Company later that year. He was one of the party who went to the Wairau in 1843 to carry out surveying for the New Zealand Company. Surviving the Wairau conflict, he continued with various surveying contracts between Nelson and Golden Bay. From 1845, Barnicoat began to develop his farm, Ashfield, in Waimea East. He married Rebecca Lee Hodgson in 1849.
Barnicoat was involved in local and national politics for many years representing Waimea East on the Nelson Provincial Council from 1853-1876, and was a member of the Legislative Council from 1883 to 1902. He also served the Nelson community on various boards and committees including the Nelson Trust Funds Board, Nelson College Board of Governors, Nelson Education Board, Richmond Cattle Fair Association. He was involved with the establishment of the Holy Trinity Anglican parish at Richmond, where he served as vicar’s warden for many years. He died in February 1905, aged 90 years.
Lash, Max. Nelson Notables. Nelson: Nelson Historical Society, 1992
Be the first to comment.