Trafalgar Street, Nelson 1842

Maker and role
Artist: Allan
After: John Barnicoat (b.1814, d.1905)
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Mixed-media, pencil drawing with a light tint watercolour wash on rectangular sheet of paper, with border margins. The picture depicts the eastern side of Trafalgar Street. On the left in the foreground is the corner of a building with a column, and on the right sketchily drawn rocky and grassy ground. In the middle ground is a row of buildings, becoming smaller to the right, the further in to the background they are drawn. At the end of the row of buildings is church hill slope with sketchily drawn buildings, and at the top of the hill another building. In the background are the eastern hills, and high bare hills known as the Grampians. Corresponding to RefNo: AC833 ‘Birds eye view of the early days in Nelson, New Zealand 1842-48’ these buildings may be representations of “ROSS Baker”; “ANCHOR HOTEL (Shine)”; “BIRD Butcher”; “PARKES”; “LLOYD Butcher”; “EYES-EMPSON”; “GREATHEAD Blacksmith; “MAJOR RICHMOND”; “ELLIOT EXAMINER OFFICE”; “DR BUSH”; “REV. REAY”; “REV. BUTT”.

At the bottom of the picture is "Trafalgar Street Nelson 1842. Barnicoat."
Object type
Media/materials description
Paper
Media and materials
Measurements
Composition = 174 h x 224 w
Maker biography

John Wallis Barnicoat arrived in Nelson on board the Lord Auckland in April 1842, and surveyed the Waimea East area for the New Zealand Company later that year. He was one of the party who went to the Wairau in 1843 to carry out surveying for the New Zealand Company. Surviving the Wairau conflict, he continued with various surveying contracts between Nelson and Golden Bay. From 1845, Barnicoat began to develop his farm, Ashfield, in Waimea East. He married Rebecca Lee Hodgson in 1849.

Barnicoat was involved in local and national politics for many years representing Waimea East on the Nelson Provincial Council from 1853-1876, and was a member of the Legislative Council from 1883 to 1902. He also served the Nelson community on various boards and committees including the Nelson Trust Funds Board, Nelson College Board of Governors, Nelson Education Board, Richmond Cattle Fair Association. He was involved with the establishment of the Holy Trinity Anglican parish at Richmond, where he served as vicar’s warden for many years. He died in February 1905, aged 90 years.
See:
Lash, Max. Nelson Notables. Nelson: Nelson Historical Society, 1992
Subjects
Settlements Nelson City
AC number
AC452
Credit line
Allan, after John Wallis Barnicoat (1814-1905). Trafalgar Street, Nelson in 1842, [no date]. Nelson Provincial Museum, Bett Loan Collection: AC452

Collection type


Colours


Share

Comments


Be the first to comment.