Fort Church Hill from southwest, Oct. 9, 1843

Maker and role
Artist: Mabel Annesley (b.1881, d.1959)
After: John Barnicoat (b.1814, d.1905)
Production date
[Circa 1950]
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Mixed-media drawing on paper, with border margins. The drawing depicts a fort on a hill, the hill now known as 'Church Hill', Nelson. In the foreground are scribbly grasses. In the middleground is a hill. To the left of the hill are the outlines of houses, buildings and trees. Three quarters of the way up the hill is a wall. Above the level of the wall on the right a house is depicted, and at the top of the hill there appears to be a second wall, with turrets at the corners. Inside the walls are the rooves of three buildings. In the background are hills.

In the bottom border margin is '1843. Barnicoat' and 'Fort from S.W.'
Object type
Media/materials description
Paper
Media and materials
Measurements
Composition = 170 h x 303 w
Measurements
Composition = Height x Width (mm) = 170 x 303mm
Maker biography
During the Second World War she emigrated to New Zealand but returned to England in 1953, settling in Suffolk. Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mabel_Annesley
John Wallis Barnicoat arrived in Nelson on board the Lord Auckland in April 1842, and surveyed the Waimea East area for the New Zealand Company later that year. He was one of the party who went to the Wairau in 1843 to carry out surveying for the New Zealand Company. Surviving the Wairau conflict, he continued with various surveying contracts between Nelson and Golden Bay. From 1845, Barnicoat began to develop his farm, Ashfield, in Waimea East. He married Rebecca Lee Hodgson in 1849.

Barnicoat was involved in local and national politics for many years representing Waimea East on the Nelson Provincial Council from 1853-1876, and was a member of the Legislative Council from 1883 to 1902. He also served the Nelson community on various boards and committees including the Nelson Trust Funds Board, Nelson College Board of Governors, Nelson Education Board, Richmond Cattle Fair Association. He was involved with the establishment of the Holy Trinity Anglican parish at Richmond, where he served as vicar’s warden for many years. He died in February 1905, aged 90 years.
See:
Lash, Max. Nelson Notables. Nelson: Nelson Historical Society, 1992
Subjects
Forts & fortifications Nelson City
AC number
AC447
Credit line
Mabel Annesley (1881-1959), after John Wallis Barnicoat (1814-1905). Fort Church Hill from Southwest in 1843, circa 1950. Pencil drawing on paper, with watercolour wash. The Nelson Provincial Museum, Bett Collection: AC447.

Collection type


Colours


Share

Comments


Be the first to comment.