O'Connor, combine

Photo collection reference number
114835
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Outdoor portrait of a group of men with a combine harvester.
Object type

Collection type


Colours


Share

Comments


Ransomes Sims and Jefferies 6 hp traction engine built in 1899 bought new by Challis of Appleby. Delivered on the "Margaret Galbraith" to Nelson in March 1900. The engine was named 'Maggie' by the wharfies following a mishap when the ropes broke while lifting a back wheel and nearly sank the wooden hulled ship. She sailed to Lyttleton for repairs which were completed by Feb 1901. It then sailed under new ownership to Australia. Maggie was sold in 1935 to Ray Archer of Tennyson Inlet and shipped there. It sat under trees until 1969 when purchased by Mike Barnes of Fielding for restoration. This is the same engine seen in the traction engine photos named as "Challis" and "Colemans"

- Gary Blackhawk

Posted on 01-07-2021 08:40:09