Maker and role
Photographer: Tyree Studio (estab. 1878, closed 1947)
Photo collection reference number
98124 See full details
The man standing on the left of the image is thought to Private Philip John Westrupp (serial no. 6/386). Westrupp was born on 23 April 1893 in Nelson, New Zealand. On the Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph database his next of kin is listed as Samuel Westrupp (father), Haven Road, Nelson, New Zealand. Westrupp worked as a sailor for Ricketts Bros, Nelson before enlisting for service during World War One. He enlisted from Haven Road, Nelson, New Zealand and joined the Canterbury Infantry Battalion. Westrupp embarked on 24 September 1914 from Lyttelton, Canterbury, New Zealand for Wellington, New Zealand. From Wellington he joined the Main Body and embarked on 16 October 1914 for Egypt. Westrupp also served with the 12th Nelson Company. He served for four years and two hundred and thirty nine days in Egypt, Gallipoli and Western Europe. Westrupp was wounded at Gallipoli but survived the war and was discharged on 13 April 1919.
The third man in military uniform and the two other women are unidentified at this time.
The museum is best known for the Tyree Studio Collection (1882-1947) of approximately 105,000 images of studio portraits, civic occasions and scenic views. This collection has been in the care of the museum since 1974 and also includes negatives, from other photographers, bought by the Tyree Studio.
The Tyree brothers were well-placed to take advantage of new photographic technology and put it to use taking scenic photographs around the region.
William and Frederick Tyree came to New Zealand from England with their parents in 1871.
The brothers were involved in gold exploration and engineering in Queenstown. They later moved to Nelson, and in 1878 began a photographic business in Trafalgar Street.
The Tyrees acted as early advocates for Nelson as a tourist destination and by 1895, William had expanded the business again to include tourist promotional images. He left for Sydney and continued to work as an inventor from c1910. Fred established a studio in Golden Bay. He was also a farmer and ran the Collingwood Hotel at various times.
Although the brothers had established and developed the Tyree Studio, for the majority of its years it was run by Rosaline (Rose) Margaret Frank (1864-1954) who started work with them at the age of twenty one. Rose Frank became the central figure in the Tyree Studio, managing the business for fifty two years, owning it from 1914.
Be the first to comment.