Mr James

Maker and role
Photographer: Tyree Studio (estab. 1878, closed 1947)
Photo collection reference number
88311
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Head and shoulders studio portrait of a man in military uniform. Thought to be Private William John James (serial no.42806). James was born on 6 October 1896 in Rockville, Nelson, New Zealand. On the Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph database his next of kin is listed as George James (father), Rockville, via Collingwood, New Zealand. James worked as a labourer for his father before enlisting for service during World War One. He embarked with the 23rd Reinforcements Canterbury Infantry Regiment, C Company on 2 April 1917 from Wellington, New Zealand for Plymouth, England. He served for one year and three hundred and nineteen days in Western Europe. James was discharged on 15 November 1918 as no longer physically fit for war service due to wounds received in active service. James died on 10 October 1972 in Taradale, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand.
Object type
Names/keywords
World War, 1914-1918
Maker biography
Tyree Studio: early promoters of the Nelson image.

The museum is best known for the Tyree Studio Collection (1882-1947) of approximately 105,000 images of studio portraits, civic occasions and scenic views. This collection has been in the care of the museum since 1974 and also includes negatives, from other photographers, bought by the Tyree Studio.

The Tyree brothers were well-placed to take advantage of new photographic technology and put it to use taking scenic photographs around the region.

William and Frederick Tyree came to New Zealand from England with their parents in 1871.

The brothers were involved in gold exploration and engineering in Queenstown. They later moved to Nelson, and in 1878 began a photographic business in Trafalgar Street.

The Tyrees acted as early advocates for Nelson as a tourist destination and by 1895, William had expanded the business again to include tourist promotional images. He left for Sydney and continued to work as an inventor from c1910. Fred established a studio in Golden Bay. He was also a farmer and ran the Collingwood Hotel at various times.

Although the brothers had established and developed the Tyree Studio, for the majority of its years it was run by Rosaline (Rose) Margaret Frank (1864-1954) who started work with them at the age of twenty one. Rose Frank became the central figure in the Tyree Studio, managing the business for fifty two years, owning it from 1914.

(http://www.museumnp.org.nz/photographic/photography.htm)
Subjects
World War, 1914-1918
Credit line
Mr James. Nelson Provincial Museum, Tyree Studio Collection: 88311

Collection type


Colours


Share

Related objects

Loading...

Comments


Be the first to comment.