Nelson School of Music new teaching rooms : new fire escape, cross section showing new room, plan showing additional room - first floor
Maker and role
Undefined: Alex Bowman (b.1916, d.2001)
Bishop's School, Nelson, was opened circa 1843 by the Bishop of New Zealand. It was a free school for boys and girls in connection with the Church of England. The children were instructed in reading, writing, spelling, arithmetic, grammar, geography, music, history and religion (Church of England).
The school was closed for a period from 1860-1865. It finally closed in 1895. It was situated first in Bridge Street then later in Nile Street.
Alex Bowman was born on 18 December, 1916. He started his architectural studies at the University of New Zealand in Canterbury in 1935 studying at the Art School and School of Engineering. He did the course of studies of the Royal Institute if British Architects. While at University he worked with Helmore and Cotteril in Christchurch and then in 1938 when he went to Britain after finishing his third year, as was traditional for architectural students, he worked for His Majesty's Office of Works. Alex returned to New Zealand when war was declared in 1939, working for Colin Lamb, architect, and finished his final year exams in 1940. He joined the NZ Army in 1941 and went to Noumea first and then to Egypt and Italy. After the war he completed his Town Planning degree and worked for W R Davidge and then Sir Patrick Abercombie in London. He came back to work in Nelson in circa 1949 and worked firstly with the Education Board (for a year) and then set up on his own in Trafalgar Street.
Be the first to comment.