Envelope

Maker and role
Corporate Author: Nelson Hospital Board
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Envelope addressed to "Miss C.J.Ovens" from the Nelson Hospital Board. Enclosed were two newspaper clippings, regarding Catherine Ovens retiring. She retired in 1964.
Object type
Media/materials description
paper
Media and materials
Measurements
0 - Whole = Height x Width (mm) = 87 x 152mm
Collection
Maker biography
Hospital services have existed in some form in Nelson since early settlement. In 1853 a large two-storied house on the corner of Examiner and Rutherford Street was taken over and used as a small hospital. Plans were drawn up for a new hospital on the present site in Waimea Road in 1867, and the first hospital building opened in July 1869. Nelson Hospital became a training school for nurses in 1897. The Nurses and Mid-wives Registration Act 1904 allowed nurses to train in general nursing through a course of three years or train as maternity nurses only (a two-year course).

Further information in: Low, D.C. Salute to the scapel : a medical history of the Nelson Province. (c.1971?); Hospital services have existed in some form in Nelson since early settlement. In 1853 a large two-storied house on the corner of Examiner and Rutherford Street was taken over and used as a small hospital. Plans were drawn up for a new hospital on the present site in Waimea Road in 1867, and the first hospital building opened in July 1869. Further information in: Low, D.C. Salute to the scapel : a medical history of the Nelson Province. (c.1971)
Accession number
NPM993.18.185.36

Collection type


Colours


Share

Related objects

Loading...

Comments


Be the first to comment.