Letter dated 20 January, 1964, to Mrs C.J. Ovens, Motueka
Maker and role
attr Author: Nelson Hospital Board
Undefined: Catherine Ovens (b.1905, d.1993)
20 Jan 1964
See full details
0 - Whole = Width (mm) = 207mm
Further information in: Low, D.C. Salute to the scapel : a medical history of the Nelson Province. (c.1971?); Hospital services have existed in some form in Nelson since early settlement. In 1853 a large two-storied house on the corner of Examiner and Rutherford Street was taken over and used as a small hospital. Plans were drawn up for a new hospital on the present site in Waimea Road in 1867, and the first hospital building opened in July 1869. Further information in: Low, D.C. Salute to the scapel : a medical history of the Nelson Province. (c.1971)
Catherine Johnston Ovens (known as Kitty) was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland in 1905. She emigrated to New Zealand with her father and mother, Mr and Mrs Thomas Ovens, in 1910. She attended school at Lower Moutere, Motueka District High School and Sacred Heart College (which was renamed Redwood College in 1970 ), Nelson. Kitty trained in nursing at Nelson Hospital graduating in 1929. She went on to further train in maternity nursing at Rotorua Hospital and graduated with honours in 1937. She also undertook training in pulmonary tuberculosis at Cashmere Sanatorium, Christchurch in 1930. She was employed at Nelson Hospital and was sister in charge of several different wards and the operating theatre. She worked outside the Nelson area until 1946, when she returned to Motueka. Kitty became the Motueka District Nurse in 1946 covering an area that included the Baton Valley, Marahau, Moutere and Tasman. She was awarded an MBE for services to nursing, announced in the New Years Honours list in December 1960. Kitty died on 26 May 1993.
Motueka Sun 23.7.1993
Nelson Evening Mail 31.12.1961
Be the first to comment.