Nelson City town-planning scheme no. 1
Maker and role
Corporate Author: Nelson City Council
Publisher: A.G. Betts & Son (estab. 1942, closed 1988)
For many years the Nelson Institute was funded by subscriptions from members and a little financial support from Council. Finally after much public debate and lobbying over a number of years, the Nelson City Council agreed to take over the running of the Nelson Institute’s Library in 1965.
Alfred George Betts began business as a printer in Nelson around 1892, publishing the Church Recorder for the Diocese of Nelson. Business premises were located on town acre 158, Hardy Street, Nelson. Alfred G Betts also published books, pamphlets and programmes for individuals, companies, churches and colleges. The limited liability company of A G Betts & Son was formed in December 1942, the directors being Alfred George Betts, Alaric Grindley Betts and Emily Doris Betts. The company remained a family business, Conrad W G Betts becoming a company director in 1944, and John Torrance Betts in 1963. The company's office remained on the same site in Hardy Street, Nelson (later part of the Montgomery Arcade) until the company closed in 1988.
the company closed in 1988.
Records donated by John Betts, former company director, son of Alaric Grindley Betts, and grandson of Alfred George Betts.
Odinances, Municipal - Nelson
Zoning - Nelson
Be the first to comment.