Object Collection: Art
295 results. Displaying results 11 - 20.
|Name/Title/Object||Brief Description||Accession No||Photographic Reference number||Other Reference Numbers|
Auckland March 20th 1865
Mixed-media, ink and pencil sketch, on rectangular sheet of white paper with paper backing. The drawing depicts an early Auckland settlement and harbour. In the foreground vegetation including tree ferns and flaxes are depicted. In the middle-ground is an early settlement. Houses are interspersed amongst fenced sections of land. Right of centre is a church with a tall steeple. In the background is Auckland harbour. There are ships in various parts of the harbour. On the left is a steep sided flat topped hill, mount Victoria, and sloping down to the right, to the right of the church steeple is North Head. Behind North head, in the background is a large hill with gradual slopes and a triple peak, Rangitoto Island.
In the top right corner is “31” and the drawing is titled "Auckland March 20. 1865"
Auckland Point in 1843
Mixed-media drawing on rectangular sheet of white paper with border margins. The picture depicts a view of Auckland Point and the haven, looking north-east from an elevated perspective. In the foreground on the left is a hill slope. On the right is a road which extends from the bottom right corner up and across the picture in an 'S' shape to the left. The 'S' shaped road forms a harbour inlet in the right foreground, where two ships and a Waka are moored, and the foreshore of Auckland Point on the left. Various buildings are depicted in the left middle-ground. To the right in the middle-ground is the harbour, and there is a house on a small piece of land that juts out from the right edge. In the background is the boulder bank and on the right are high hills.
In the bottom margin is "1844 (the last '4' is crossed out and replaced with a 3) Barnicoat" and "Auckland Point."
Bay and islands, Marlborough Sounds
Watercolour painting on rectangular sheet of paper. The print depicts a picture of a view of a bay and islands from an elevated perspective. There are tall trees and treestumps in the bottom right corner of the composition. In the middle ground and background the ocean and many inlets, islands and sky are depicted in a palette of blues and greens.
Bearcroft, the residence of Dr Munro
Pencil drawing, with top and bottom border margins, on white paper with backing sheet. The drawing depicts ‘Bearcroft’, the residence of Dr Munro. In the foreground is a grassy lawn. In the middle-ground on a slight slope is a rectangular weatherboard cottage, of the ‘folk architecture’ style with a simple, low-pitch, lean-to verandah. The roof is a steep triangular shape with two chimneys at either end. To the right of the cottage is a small tree. Behind the cottage is a high fence, and a roof of another dwelling is visible to the left. In the background are hills.
The drawing is signed and titled "SG Octbr 1850"
Birds eye view of the early days in Nelson, New Zealand 1842-48
Ink drawing on a square sheet of semi-opaque tracing paper. The drawing is a simplistic line drawing of the layout of early Nelson with named buildings. It has a loose grid formation, with the Cathedral and Cathedral hill top right, with Trafalgar Street running down the length of the paper from the cathedral to the ‘north’ end of the map. The Maitai River curves around and down from top left corner around to the bottom right, intersecting with Trafalgar Street.
From bottom left to bottom right, middle left to middle right, top left to top right.
Bottom left to right
“MAITAI RIVER”; “WOODHOUSE”; “SIGLEY”; “BURN”;
Below PORT ROAD
“STALLARD Painter”; “ANCHOR HOTEL (Shine)”; “WAKATU HOTEL” “HARLEY’S”; “WILKIE Store”; “PERRY”; “JOE WHITE boot maker”; “JOHNSTONE money lender”;
Left of “EEL POND”
“RAPO”; “LITTLE SCOTLAND”; “BLANCHARD Shoemaker”; “HUNTER Watchmaker”; “DOLAMOR Baptist Minister”; “HOOPER’S BREWERY”;
Above and on “PORT ROAD” to the right of the eel pond below “HARDY ST”
“PACKER Turner”; “SMITH BREWER”; “TOM GOODMAN” (on “FIDDLE ALLEY”); “ROSS Baker”; “LOYD”; “TOM BERRY”
Above “EEL POND” on “HARDY ST”
“DR RENWICK”; “MILL CAMPBELLS MILL LEAD”; “HIGH FERN”
Left on “TRAFALGAR ST”
“BIRD Butcher”; “PARKES”; “LLOYD Butcher”; “EYES-EMPSON”; “DRY DITCH”; “GREATHEAD Blacksmith”
Right on “TRAFALGAR ST”
“ARMSTRONG”; “R BURN”; “BEN CRISP (Good Old Ben)”; “MRS SNOW”
Left on “TRAFALGAR ST” above “HARDY ST”
“ELLIOT EXAMINER OFFICE”; “DR BUSH”
“TUTU” above “HARDY ST”
“TUTU”; “BLACK WILLIAM constable”
Left of and left on “TRAFALGAR ST” above “HARDY ST”
“FERN”; “REV. REAY”; “REV. BUTT”; “MAJOR RICHMOND”;
Right on and right of “TRAFALGAR ST” above “HARDY ST”
“DR MCSAIN”; “MRS COLE”; “LANGFORD Joiner”; “DARTNELL”; “COPPINS”; extreme right “Sale Yard for Cattle & Horses from SYDNEY”
Left of “THE BROOK”
“LIGHTBAND (Tanner)”; “JACKSON (shoemaker)”; “COX 1st oddfellow”; “J.KIDSON of WAIRAU MASSACRE”; “SHEARMAN”; “MRS ROLLANDS STORE”; “CHING”; “CAPT N.MARSHALL”; “T TROWER”
To the right of “THE BROOK” and to the left of “CHURCH HILL”
“LANEY Baker”; “MARSDEN (watch maker)”; “DR WILSON”; “CAPT. NEWCOMBE”; “Shaumacher”; “SCHOOL REV. BUTT”; “MILLS Head Gaoler”; “Tailor GREEN”; “CAPT ENGLAND”; “COLLINGWOOD ST CEMETRY”; “DADDY WHITE Magistrate”; “YATES gardner”; “CAWTHRON”; “COLEMAN Cabinet Maker”; “WOOTTEN”; “COURT HOUSE”;
Right of “CHURCH HILL”
Above “CHURCH HILL”
“GAOL Built of logs”
Above “CHURCH HILL” parallel to “HARDY ST”
“SURVEY LINE FROM BROOK ST TO WAIMEA ROAD”
Top left corner
… …; “BLICK Weaver”; “BROWN”; “SAM NEWPORT milkman”; “GROOEY”; “S NEWPORT”; “B… Pioneer”; “SAXTON”
Above survey line
“SAUNDERS & SHARP”; “S”
In the top left corner is written "Original Bett 25". The drawing is titled and signed "1842 - 1848, BIRDS EYE VIEW of the EARLY DAYS IN NELSON N.Z. by W.H. COLE from memory".
Birds eye view of the early days in Nelson, New Zealand 1842-48
Pencil drawing on paper, of a map. Simplistic line drawing of town layout, naming buildings. Unmounted.
Mixed-media drawing on white rectangular sheet of paper, with paper backing. The drawing depicts a large two storey building on a hillside in Bishopdale, possibly Nelson’s first Hospital, established in 1852. In the foreground is flat land populated by a row of trees. Extending to the right of the trees is a fence and small dwelling. The land slopes back and upwards into the middle-distance where the large building is situated half-way up a hill. The building looks slightly too large in proportion to the environment. The building is an asymmetrical “Regency” style featuring two steep gables with bay windows on the left. The right side of the building consists of five parallel sets of windows, a row in the ground floor walls and small gabled windows in the roof. In the background on the left is a hill slope, the beginning of the Grampians.
See Refno: C5003 for a black and white photograph of the same house.
The drawing is titled "Bishopdale Nelson 24th Jany 1870"
Handcoloured lithograph on cream paper with card backing. The print is a botanical illustration of part of a fern. One green leaf frond and one brown seed stem are depicted. The green leaf blades are closely spaced and fan shaped, some lobed. The seed stem is long, with many branches of tiny yellow-orange round-shaped seeds at the terminal end.
The print is titled "Botrychium Virginicum" and "Root of thick fleshy fibres bearing one erect much divided frond and a branched seed bearing spike. The seed a golden colour. Tonga and Fisherman's Island Nelson"
Watercolour painting on rectangular sheet of brown paper, with a brown window mount, and backing. The painting is a botanical illustration of part of a bush with flowers. One brown stem is depicted, with leaves opposite and alternate along the stem. The leaf blades are oval shaped, green on top and white underneath with wavy margins. At the top of the leaf stems are many branches of flower heads. The white florets are clustered close together and have a slightly fluffy appearance. There are leaves and flowers depicted in a blue-green wash.
The painting is marked "NiNA. JONES" and "BrAchygLottis - RANGiorA."
Burton, the residence of Charles Thorp esq
Pencil drawing on rectangular sheet of white paper with backing sheet. The drawing depicts a farm. A narrow road extends from the bottom right corner diagonally up and across to the left edge. The road is lined by grasses in the bottom left corner, and by a grassy verge and fence on the far-side. In the middle ground a number of buildings and trees are depicted. The building to the right of the centre appears to be a house, whilst the buildings further back in the picture appear to be farm buildings. The house has two small windows, front door, large thatched roof and chimney. Distinguishing features of the farm buildings include two dome-like structures. In the background rolling hills are depicted.
In the top left corner is written “13” and the drawing is signed and dated "S.G. 1850"